Since its launch in September 2016, TikTok’s popularity has snowballed, peaking between 2019 and 2020. Both the growth of the creator economy and the COVID-19 pandemic played a role in the app’s growth.
TikTok is now a go-to platform for millions of users who spend an average of 95 minutes on the social-media site daily. That’s three times more than the time spent on Twitter and four times more than Snapchat’s daily use.
The social media platform has continued to grow since 2020 and now has a dedicated base of users, creators, musicians, and artists.
Knowing the demographics of this user base is key to understanding how the app works and who it serves. Here are some of the most interesting statistics about TikTok demographics.
- TikTok Demographics (Highlights)
- TikTok User Demographics
- TikTok Age Demographics
- TikTok Gender Demographics
- TikTok Creator Demographics
- TikTok Regional Demographics
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What age group is most active on TikTok?
- Which demographic uses TikTok the most?
- How does the gender breakdown of users on TikTok compare to other social media platforms?
- What countries have the highest number of active users on TikTok?
- Are there any differences in user engagement between different age groups on TikTok?
TikTok Demographics (Highlights)
- TikTok had 1.2 billion monthly active users in 2021, forecasted to reach 1.8 billion by 2022.
- TikTok is one of the few non-Meta apps that has been downloaded more than 3 billion times.
- As of October 2022, the largest TikTok audience was in the United States, with 113.25 million active users. The second largest user base was in Indonesia, with 109.9 million users.
- Almost 50% of Gen Z users use Instagram and TikTok for research purposes instead of Google.
TikTok User Demographics
TikTok is often considered young people’s social media of choice, as opposed to Facebook, which is generally used by older generations. However, it would be wrong to say that the audience and user base are exclusively Gen Z or Millennials.
These statistics about TikTok user demographics explain this:
- In total, 13% of the global influencer campaigns took place on TikTok in 2021.
- TikTok’s annual users increased from 902 million in 2021 to 1.47 million in 2022. This is a massive increase, considering the platform had 133 million users in 2018.
- TikTok was the most-downloaded app in 2021, with the highest quarterly downloads in the first quarter of 2022.
- Users spent 13.3 hours on TikTok per month in 2020, increasing to 19.6 hours per month in 2022. Users in the UK spend over 27 hours on TikTok per month, while those in Argentina spend 15 hours on the platform.
- On average, a Gen Z user spends 10.46 hours on the platform per week.
- Charli D’Amelio is the highest-earning TikTok content creator, earning $17.5 million annually. Her earnings come from sponsored content, advertising revenue, and event appearances.
- Meanwhile, Addison Rae’s annual earnings are $8.5 million.
- Besides entertainment, 58% of people also use TikTok for shopping inspiration. In fact, 71.2% of the users said they shopped for something via TikTok if they stumbled across an interesting item on stories or their feed.
TikTok Age Demographics
TikTok has a very fast-paced design with short and quick videos, a format especially attractive to younger generations.
Here are some statistics about TikTok age demographics:
- A total of 27.37% of TikTok users are aged 13 to 17, while 18 to 24 year olds make up the largest segment of TikTok users, at 39.91%.
- Of all users on the platform, 25.11% are aged 25 to 34.
- There’s a smaller proportion of older people using TikTok, with the 55- to 64-year-old age group only making up 0.32% of TikTok’s user base. To compare, 1.67% of the users on the platform are aged 45 to 54, whereas 5.97% are in the 35 to 44 age range.
- A whopping 92.39% of TikTok users are aged 13 to 34, proving that the platform appeals most to the younger population.
- As of the last quarter of 2022, most of the TikTok content creators were 18 to 25 years old. Nearly 50% of creators on the platform are in this age range.
- Only 7% of the creators are aged 13 or under. Since these children have age restrictions, they must use the Younger Users version of TikTok.
TikTok Gender Demographics
It’s interesting to see how gender demographics on TikTok have always been tilted in one direction, whether it’s influencers or users. Women are the majority on the platform, mostly using it for entertainment, networking, and personal expression.
These TikTok user statistics go into detail on this phenomenon:
- A majority of TikTok users are women, at 57%, with most of the engagement coming from female users aged 24 and younger.
- Male users, on the other hand, represent 40% of the total TikTok audience.
- Nonbinary or undisclosed users make up 3% of TikTok.
TikTok Creator Demographics
TikTok has a wide array of creators, ranging from makeup artists and fashionistas to gamers and dancers. The demographics of these creators vary widely as well, with users from all ages, genders, and countries.
While TikTok’s payout for 1 million views may be lower than other platforms, it still remains an attractive place for content creators due to other revenue generation streams, such as brand deals and sponsorships.
Here’s a look at TikTok creator demographics:
- Khabane Lame surpassed Charli D’Amelio as the most-followed TikToker in November 2022, when he gained 152 million subscribers. Charli D’Amelio holds second place with 149 million followers, followed by Bella Poarch at 92.4 million followers.
- In terms of video plays, BTS—the K-pop boy band—has the highest viewership with 47 million video plays on their TikTok account. Nikita Dragun has the second-highest number of video plays at 39 million.
- Charli D’Amelio, the second most-followed TikTok creator, ranked in third place with 35 million video plays.
- Charli D’Amelio is the highest-paid TikTok creator. She makes $105,770 per post and has a net worth of $20 million.
- The most-followed TikToker, Khabane Lame, makes $92,270 per post and has a $5 million net worth.
- Of content creators on TikTok, 55% are women and 45% are men. We could not find reliable data on the representation of non-binary TikTok influencers.
- Over half of the creators on TikTok are between 18 and 25 years old.
|Age Group||Proportion of TikTok creators|
- TikTok also has its fair share of virtual creators, with Nobody Sausage—an animated character created by Kael Cabral—being the most followed at 16.7 million followers. FN Meka is a robot rapper with 10.2 million followers, in second place.
TikTok Regional Demographics
TikTok is widely popular in the US and Asia, two of the world’s leading markets for digital media consumption. While the US has the most number of TikTok users, other regions where TikTok is largely used include Russia, Thailand, Turkey, Indonesia, and Brazil.
Take a look at these TikTok regional demographics to learn more.
- Recent stats show that most TikTok users come from the US, which has a user base of 113.25 million.
- Indonesia is in second place with 106.9 million users, followed by Brazil with 74 million users and Russia with 56.3 million users.
- There are 51.3 million TikTok users in Mexico, 49.6 million in Vietnam, and 42.7 million in the Philippines.
- Thailand has a TikTok user base of 39.5 million, Turkey 30.8 million, and Saudi Arabia 25.2 million.
- As for TikTok ad revenue, the platform generated the highest revenue from the US. The $4 billion advertising revenue is expected to triple by 2026.
- Chinese consumers spent more than $200 billion on the platform’s e-commerce offerings.
- TikTok is available in more than 150 countries in 35 languages. It is also the most downloaded app in more than 40 international markets.
TikTok’s popularity is not going away anytime soon, especially since the platform is introducing new features for users, content creators, and marketers. These TikTok demographics show that people from different countries and ages with varying interests enjoy the platform.
Women make up the majority of TikTok users. As for age, most of the users are under the age of 30 and come from the US.
If you liked these TikTok statistics, you might be interested in checking out Patreon statistics to learn more about how the platform benefits creators.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Business of Apps
- Statista (TikTok users by country)
- Statista (US Gen Z top social apps weekly engagement)
- Tech Crunch
- Statista (Social media platforms used in influencer campaigns)
- Statista (Time spent on TikTok)
- Statista (TikTok most followed influencers worldwide)
- Statista (Top-earning TikTok stars)
- Statista (Shopping behavior on TikTok)
- Sell Courses Online
- Influencer Marketing Hub
- Statista (TikTok global creators by age)
- Statista (TikTok global user distribution by gender)
- Statista (TikTok top creators by number of video plays)
- Hopper HQ
- Exploding Topics
- Statista (Most followed virtual creators on TikTok)
- Statista (TikTok ad revenue forecast 2026)
- The Information
- Creator Marketplace
- Statista (Global Facebook user distribution by gender)
- Statista (US Instagram users by gender)
- Statista (Global Snapchat distribution by gender)