Zoom was founded in 2011 to “bring teams together to get more done in a frictionless video environment.”
Ten years later, the company has grown to be worth billions of dollars, hosts millions of hours of meetings, and has cemented its position as the leading cloud-based video conferencing software.
So, how popular is Zoom today? This article will cover the top Zoom usage statistics and share insights into the platform’s extraordinary growth, usage, and financials.
If you’re ready, keep on reading!
- Zoom Usage Statistics (Highlights)
- Zoom Meeting Statistics
- Zoom User Statistics
- Zoom Revenue and Financials
Zoom Usage Statistics (Highlights)
- Zoom hosts 300 million daily meeting participants.
- Annually, the company exceeded 3 trillion meeting minutes.
- Zoom has 488,000 business customers with over ten employees.
- Zoom’s revenue exceeded $4 billion in 2021, increasing 26 times in the past four years.
- The company has over 8,000 employees.
Zoom Meeting Statistics
We’ve compiled a list of Zoom meeting statistics that demonstrate the platform’s rapid rise. Here’s a list of the most compelling meeting stats:
- Zoom had a staggering 300 million daily meeting participants in April 2020, firmly positioning itself as one of the most used platforms in the world.
- The platform’s daily activity experienced an increase of over 30 times from just 10 million daily meeting participants in December 2019.
- The annualized meeting minutes run rate exceeded 3 trillion in the third quarter of 2020.
- The number of annualized meeting minutes increased by 65% between the second and third quarters of 2020.
- Zoom’s annualized webinar minutes run rate exceeded 45 billion minutes in the third quarter of 2020.
- The number of webinar minutes increased more than 20 times between the second quarters of 2019 and 2020.
- The beginning of the pandemic saw the sharpest increase in run rate, growing by 14 times in one quarter.
|Year||Annualized Webinar Minutes (In Billions)|
|Jul 2019||2 billion|
|Oct 2019||3 billion|
|Jan 2020||3 billion|
|Apr 2020||42 billion|
|Jul 2020||42 billion|
|Oct 2020||45+ billion|
- Over 100,000 schools across 20 countries use Zoom to deliver K-12 education.)
Zoom User Statistics
To get a clearer picture of Zoom’s clients, their size, and the platform’s market share, we’ve curated a set of essential stats below.
- Zoom dominates the video call platform market, with a 42.7% share in 2022.
- The current market share of Zoom is 11% higher than its closest rival, Google Meet, which has a 31.4% market share.
- Zoom’s market share was only 26.4% in 2020 and almost doubled within a year.
- According to Google Trends, during the outbreak of COVID-19 in March 2020, the search interest in Zoom increased by 20 times.
- Zoom’s average monthly churn is 3.1%, down from 3.7% in the same period last year.
- As of the third quarter of 2022, there were 488,000 Zoom customers with over ten employees, which represents a decrease of 5% compared to the same period the previous year.
- The number of enterprise customers increased by 14% to 209k between the third quarters of 2021 and 2022.
- There are now 3,286 customers spending over $100k annually, which is a year-on-year increase of 31%.
- 55% of Zoom’s customers spending over $100k annually started with a free trial shared by a single employee.
- As of August 2022, there were over 4 million Zoom Phone seats.
- 62% of customers have annual subscription contracts, with the remaining having shorter or no contracts as of the second quarter of 2021. As of 2017, Zoom’s customers included 58% of Fortune 500 companies and 96% of the top US universities.
- 51% of users come from the United States, with just 6% coming from the United Kingdom and less than 5% from Canada.
Unfortunately, Zoom doesn’t release specific information about its user base. Instead, they share general information about the size of their clients and the number of enterprise subscriptions.
Zoom Revenue and Financials
Since the company became public, it has been required to disclose lots of financial information, allowing us to dive deep and gather some great stats for you. Here are our favorite ones.
- Zoom’s revenue exceeded $4 billion for the first time in 2021.
- The platform’s revenue has grown by over $3.5 billion in the past four years, representing an increase of over 26 times.
- The company had a staggering CAGR of 93.4% over the past five years, with the largest increase happening between 2020 and 2021.
|Financial Year Ending Date||Revenue|
- Enterprise customers contribute 56% of the platform’s total revenue.
- Businesses with more than ten employees contribute 70% of the overall revenue.
- The company’s revenue from APAC (Asia and Pacific Region) and EMEA (Europe, Middle East, and Africa) represent less than 30% of the total revenue, while the United States contributes over 70% of the revenue.
- Between 2010 and 2021, the company raised $275 million in funding across seven different rounds.
- Their largest round was raised in November 2021 for $130 million and was led by ARK Investment Management.
|Funding Date||Transaction Round||Amount Raised|
|February 5th, 2010||Pre-Seed Round||$500k|
|June 1st, 2011||Seed Round||$3 million|
|January 28th, 2013||Series A||$6 million|
|February 4th, 2015||Series B||$6.5 million|
|April 19th, 2019||Series C||$30 million|
|January 17th, 2017||Series D||$100 million|
|November 4th, 2021||Post-IPO Equity||$130 million|
- When the company went public on the NASDAQ stock exchange, its stock cost $36, giving it a market valuation of $9.2 billion.
- Today, the company’s stock price is $78, and the market capitalization stands at $23 billion.
Zoom Website and App Statistics
With millions of daily meeting participants, Zoom’s website and app statistics make for an interesting read. Find our favorite ones below.
- In September 2022, Zoom received 1.8 million monthly website visitors, which is 100k more than the previous month.
- The website has a very low average visit duration of just 47 seconds and a high bounce rate of 74.72%, suggesting that users don’t stay on the website for long.
- In terms of gender,men represent 57.54% of website visitors; women, instead, come in slightly lower at 42.46%.
- In terms of age demographics, users between 25 and 34 years old represent 32.36% of visitors, and those who visit the least are over 65 (4.89%).
- The country with the most website visitors was the United States, with a 43.83% share, and the second largest was India at 4.76%.
- The company currently has over five apps on offer, which can be downloaded on Linux, macOS, and Windows for desktops and on iOS and Android stores for mobile devices.
- Zoom’s Android mobile app was downloaded over 10 million times in September 2022 and over 500 million times in total. In contrast, its iOS app was downloaded an estimated 5 million times in September 2022.
- The number of daily active users on the mobile app rose to 4.84 million in March 2020, driven by the unfolding pandemic.
- The number of daily downloads also rose to a staggering 2.5 million during the early stages of the pandemic.
Miscellaneous Zoom Statistics
This section is a collection of the most interesting miscellaneous statistics.
- The number of employees has grown dramatically from just 5,725 in July 2021 to 8,044 in July 2022.
|Date||Number of Full-Time Employees|
|January 31st, 2019||1,702|
|January 31st, 2020||2,532|
|July 31st, 2021||5,725|
|July 31st, 2022||8,044|
- As of January 2022, 59% of Zoom’s workforce was based in the United States.
- Zoom has 14 office locations in eight countries.
- The average salary at Zoom is $106k per year. However, the average annual salary for a software engineer is $118,180, and $153,018 for a solutions architect.
- The company currently has 188 jobs advertised, 40 of which are in the engineering department.
- 85% of Zoom’s employees would recommend the company to a friend, and 93% approve of the CEO.
That’s the complete round-up of our favorite Zoom usage statistics for 2023. As the company continues to grow and evolve thanks to new technological advancements, we’ll update these statistics.
We hope you enjoyed reading these curated Zoom statistics and learned more about the company.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment.